St. Patrick’s Day is a cultural and religious holiday that is celebrated annually on March 17th, the death anniversary of St. Patrick, the patron saint of Ireland. The day commemorates the arrival of Christianity in Ireland, as well as Irish culture and heritage.
St. Patrick’s Day is a global celebration, but it is particularly popular in Ireland and among Irish communities around the world. San Francisco is no exception, with a vibrant and enthusiastic celebration of the holiday every year.
Celebrating St. Patrick’s Day in San Francisco is a fun and exciting experience. The city’s large Irish-American community comes together to organize various events, including the St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Festival, block parties, live music and dance performances, and more. The city’s many Irish pubs also get into the spirit, serving up traditional Irish food and drink and providing a festive atmosphere for patrons.
Events You Should Not Miss This Year
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade and Festival
- This annual event is held in the city’s Civic Center Plaza and features a parade with Irish dancers, floats, and live music. The festival includes food and drink vendors, arts and crafts, and live entertainment. Their annual block party is set for Sunday, March 12th located at the United Irish Cultural Center at 2700 45th Avenue.
- St. Patrick’s Day Block Party at The Irish Bank
- This popular bar located at 10 Mark Lane in the Financial District hosts an outdoor block party with live music, food and drink specials, and plenty of festive decorations.
- Friday, 3/17: Saint Patrick’s Day Parade Block Party #2
- Doors open at 11am and party starts at 1:30 pm
- 21 and older only, runs until 11:30 pm
- Irish Coffee Festival
- Get in the Irish spirit on Saint Patrick’s Day at the Buena Vista Cafe. All day long, they will be serving up corned beef and cabbage, Irish soda bread, and other Buena Vista favorites.
- Know more: https://www.thebuenavista.com/home/irishcoffee.html
- Irish Film Festival
- The San Francisco Irish Film Festival showcases independent films made by Irish filmmakers. The festival takes place over a weekend and features screenings, discussions, and special events.
- The Botanical Garden celebrates St. Patrick’s Day with a special tour of its collection of Irish plants, including heather, thistle, and gorse.
- Attend a Concert or Show: Many music venues and theaters in San Francisco host St. Patrick’s Day-themed concerts and shows, featuring Irish music and dance.
- Take a walk in Golden Gate Park: Golden Gate Park is a beautiful place to take a stroll and enjoy the outdoors. Pack a picnic and enjoy the scenery, or visit one of the park’s museums or attractions.